What Personal Information About Web Site Visitors Does USM Collect?
1. Automatic Information
- For each visitor to our website, our Web server automatically recognizes only the consumer’s domain name but not the e-mail address. Therefore, we collect only the domain name, but not the e-mail address of visitors to our Web site.
- We collect the e-mail addresses of those who communicate with us via e-mail, statistical information on which pages consumers visit, user-specific information on which pages access or visit, and any information volunteered by the consumer, such as registrations via the Web site for the University’s Programs, Seminars, Special Events, and requests for contact and Programs information.
- The information we collect may be used for internal review only and then discarded, used to improve the content of our Web site, and/or used by us to contact consumers for marketing and communications purposes.
- Information is never shared with other organizations for commercial or any other purposes.
2. Cookies, Web Beacons, & Embedded Scripts
- Cookies are small files that a Web site transfers to your computer for many purposes such as facilitating Web page display preferences and Web site login features. Most common browsers are initially factory pre-set to accept cookies.
- Web beacons are also small graphic images or other Web programming code (also know as “1x1 GIFs” or “clear GIFs”) that may be included in Web pages and e-mail messages. Web beacons or similar technologies may be used for a number of purposes, including (without limitation) to count visitors to the Site, monitor how users navigate the Site, count how many e-mails that were sent were actually opened, or to count how many particular articles or links were actually viewed.
- An Embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about users' interactions with the Site, such as the links users click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto a user's computer from our Web server or a third party service provider, is active only while the user is connected to the Site, and is deactivated or deleted thereafter.
3. Information You Give Us
- You can choose how much additional information you provide. Your choices may impact your ability to make use of some of our features. We use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customizing future communications and/or purchases for you, improving our Web site, and communicating with you.
- Our Web site has a number of areas where you may volunteer information about yourself if you choose to. These include completing forms with your updated contact information and registering for Programs, Seminars, and Special Events.
- The University of Santa Monica does not collect any personal information about you (such as your name, e-mail address, etc.) except when you specifically and knowingly provide such information. If you supply us with your postal address or e-mail address via our Web site, you may receive periodic mailings from us with information of interest about USM’s Graduate Programs and other offerings. Each communication will contain clear options for changing how or whether you receive further communications.
- In addition, if at any time you wish to change your electronic or regular mail preferences, you can do so by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. At that time, please provide us with your exact name and address when you make the request, so we can be sure the correct name is removed promptly from our mailing list.
- Individuals who supply USM with their telephone numbers online will only receive telephone contact regarding the specific Program(s) for which they have requested information/contact.
- Any personal information submitted to USM will be stored in a secure environment that is designed to prevent misuse.
4. Does USM Share Any of the Information It Receives?
- USM does not sell, exchange, or distribute information collected on its website to any third parties. With respect to ad servers: the University does not partner with, or have special relationships with, any ad server companies.
5. Protection of USM
- We will release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with local, state, or federal law, or protect the rights, property, or safety of USM, our Web site visitors, or others.
6. How Secure Is Information About Me?
- We use industry-standard encryption technologies when transferring and receiving visitor data containing credit card payments exchanged on our Site. These technologies encrypt information you input with the exception of domain name data.
7. Consent to Transfer
- If you are located in the European Union, Canada, or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States. By using the Site or providing us with your information, you consent to this transfer.
8. Who Can I Ask If I Have Additional Questions?
- Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or comments.Regular Mail:
University of Santa Monica
2107 Wilshire Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA 90403Telephone: